The examination system in aikido is not structured on competition. You will be graded on the following points:
- Your understanding of basic technique appropriate to your level.
- Your spontaneous movement and response appropriate for the attack.
- Your ability to adapt your movement to the force of the attack.
- The concentration and awareness you maintain throughout the examination.
- Continuity of movement is important, not speed.
- Confidence and courage are important, not ego.
Be prepared to uke for someone else of your same level during the examination period. You will be graded on your ukemi.
A technique should be demonstrated continuously both right and left until there is a signal to stop. Both irimi and tenkan movement should be used whenever applicable. You will be expected to know and respond to the Japanese terms. It is necessary to have completed the required hours of training (only one hour per day may count in computing time requirements) and it is necessary that the waiting period between each examination has expired.